We are a group of individuals who went to the Dominican Republic on vacation. Upon seeing the needs of the people there, we started taking items of clothing, shoes, hygiene supplies and school supplies to assist those who suffer in poverty there. We have now become a registered charity and our work has grown significantly. We operate with a 9-person board of directors.
Where will the Money Go?
All of the donations to Dominican Starfish Foundation go directly to the projects there. The directors are all volunteer and pay for their own travel and accommodations.
What do we do?
- We have built a distribution center where people can come to get essential needs for their families. Here we have clothing, shoes, hygiene supplies, some food and school supplies. We ask people to do a service in the community in exchange for the things they receive. They are cleaning streets, helping their neighbors, working in the hospitals etc.
- We have brought in a shipping container with over 600 boxes of shoes and clothing and continue to bring supplies in every few months for the distribution center.
- We have built a school and playground in the community of Maggiolo and continue to give support there. We also built a baseball backstop for that community.
- We are in process of building a library for the communities of El Luperon and El Estrecho.
- We have a home-building program. Since April, 2013, we have built 42 homes for families in need.
- For 4 years, we supported a school lunch program where we helped to feed 315 hungry children one hot lunch daily in two different schools.
- We have supported and continue to raise funds for several medical emergencies.
- We have helped with the set-up of a volunteer English program in the schools.